Head of Building Design
This job has now been filled, check out our latest jobs, on our job search.
Are you looking for an organisation that cares about the work-life balance of its workforce? An employer who offers structured personal development, progression opportunities and outstanding training? Well look no further!
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
Life moves fast at HMRC which is why we’re the largest Landlord in Government! We’re looking to recruit Property Specialists, Project Managers, Facilities Managers and Engineers along with candidates with expertise in a wide range of property related services that can work at pace in a fast paced and agile workplace.
The Head of Service Design (Physical) supports E&LP working closely with the wider SDUX team by:
• Leading the workplace design of Phase 1 Government Hubs, Specialist and Transitional sites, and Front-Line facilities from layout to RIBA stage 4.
• Driving engagement with HMRC experts and outside industry in the design, development and evaluation of great places to work.
• Leading the team to maintain resilience to work at pace, engaging stakeholders throughout design delivery.
• Championing the Inclusive Design Guide (IDG) ensuring this ambition is implemented for every project by providing accessible and inclusive workplaces for all.
• Acting as the intelligent client and representing HMRC and OGD workplace interests.
• Protecting the design ambition by challenging when the design may be compromised, or lessons learned are not being observed.
As a member of the SDUX Senior Leadership Team you will contribute to the corporate and collective leadership of E&LP and lead the team responsible for the physical design of Phase 1 Government Hubs workspaces as well as responding to design changes within our non-Regional Centre locations.
As our Head of Service Design (Physical) you will be responsible for, but not limited to:
• Providing a strategic view of the E&LP’s design ambition, representing both the Department and wider Government workplace interests throughout implementation.
• Developing and maintaining the HMRC Employee Requirements covering technical performance standards and specifications including physical security in conjunction with public sector specialists
and private sector professionals.
• Working across E&LP and with delivery partners to create strong and trusting relationships and networks, taking opportunities to influence a mindset shift to create a truly user first organisation.
• Overseeing the implementation of interior design plans, proactively leading and promoting the IDG, and engaging experts/outside industry on the development and design of inclusive workplaces.
• Leading the procurement Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment, representing E&LP in both framework selection and individual project Cat C tender exercises.
• Design Authority and principal point of contact with designers, contractors and supply chains for Government Hubs Phase 1, testing and assuring both design and technical standards.
• Understand how different customers use our buildings and services, and collaborate to implement changes that maximise the customer experience while staying true to the design ambition.
• Leading, coaching and mentoring the Design Team, empowering and equipping them to maximise their potential.
For a full breakdown of the role, please refer to the Role Profile attached at the bottom of the advert.
Previous knowledge, practical experience and proven track record of:
• Leading end to end large and complex projects e.g. (£20M+), or programmes, preferably central government, managing interactions with stakeholders across multiple business and organisational
• Experience of working with and influencing HMRC Customer Groups and OGDs who will be moving into phase 1 Hub locations.
• In-depth knowledge and practical experience of accessible and inclusive design in the commercial sector.
• Excellent strategic planning skills and proven ability to work across multi-disciplinary project teams to resolve business requirements/issues.
• Track record of working with ambiguity and constant change, and expertise to explain complex information to a range of audiences.
• Highly developed interpersonal and influencing skills, evidence through collaboration and the maintenance of effective relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders up to
• A good understanding of wider Government Property Strategy, including, Government Hubs Programme and Smarter Working.
• Confident in advising and challenging peers and senior colleagues,
• Relevant Project Management qualification e.g. MAPM, PRINCE2, Agile or willingness to work towards
While we work hard at HMRC we respect your work-life balance and offer flexible working conditions reflecting the best in the sector.
We offer you structured personal development, progression opportunities, and outstanding training.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Making Effective Decisions
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Government Property Profession Skill 1 - Customer Focus
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
Team members that are moving offices as a result of the Locations Programme will be entitled to a Moves Adjustment Payment for three years where they incur additional costs. This is calculated based on the difference between the costs of travelling to and from the new and old office, over a weekly period. You will get more detail on this as part of targeted locations move communications.
Jobs of the Week
- Administration 16
- Building Design, Planning, Development 3
- Catering 8
- Construction 17
- Contracts, Projects, Bids 6
- Energy Management 1
- Engineering, Maintenance 174
- Estates, Property 53
- Events 6
- Facilities Management (main) 227
- Front of House 6
- Hard Services 131
- Health & Safety 7
- Human Resources 1
- HVAC 58
- Management 10
- M&E 86
- Operations 19
- Sales & Marketing 5
- Security 1
- Soft Services 21
- Sustainability 2
- ICT, Technical 7
- Training 1
- Workplace 13