Health and Safety Officer
Health and Safety Officer
Her Majesty’s Court and Tribunals Service is an agency of the MoJ and provides the supporting administration for the judiciary across England and Wales. It delivers services to the public directly in court and tribunal buildings, remotely via business centres and some limited services via the internet.
HMCTS has a once in a generation opportunity to transform the entire Courts and Tribunals Service through the HMCTS Reform Programme, enhancing the provision of a world-class justice system, in a manner that provides an improved user experience at reduced cost to the taxpayer. This will contribute to consolidating the UK’s position at the forefront of an increasingly competitive international legal market as well as ensuring access to justice for all.
The programme includes modernising the court estate, updating and replacing its technology, speeding up and streamlining working practices, refurbishing buildings to reduce maintenance costs and provide much improved services for service users, especially vulnerable witnesses and victims. Effective staff engagement at a time of such significant change will be critical to success; maintaining a positive and lasting connection between HMCTS management and its staff.
An effective courts and tribunals service is fundamental to our democracy, underpinning the rule of law. This is an opportunity to work in a role that will support and enable a major transformation programme, designed not just to give our courts and tribunals a sustainable and affordable future, but improve how we deliver justice.
Key Role Responsibilities:
- To provide advice and support for the Property Directorate, the FM Delivery Team, the Regional Security and Safety Officers, Building Champions and the Regional Support Units and other HMCTS staff on property related safety management, to include advice on best practice and legal compliance.
- To support the FM and Operational teams in ensuring best practice and legal compliance is implemented, delivered and maintained across HMCTS estate.
- To assist with and advise on the operational implementation Nationally of all security and safety policy and guidance issued from the central HMCTS Security and Safety team, related to Property matters.
- To attend, in a professional support capacity, FM and Security contract meetings, meetings of the Regional Security and Safety Committees.
- To assist the Regional Support Units and HMCTS FM and Security Managers in monitoring the safety performance of the FM and Security contract providers and contractors. This involves the critique and challenge of their own and supplier safety performance such as Safe Systems of Work (SSOWs) and Safe and Unsafe Acts and Situations (SUSAs), and statutory and legislative safety deliverables.
- To maintain regular contact with Cluster Managers and Senior Person on Sites to spread and implement examples of best practice on property matters throughout all Regions.
Key Technical Skills
- Good working knowledge of Property and Estate related H&S practices including but not limited to asbestos and water systems management, CDM regulations, electricity, gas and pressure systems and permit to work schemes.
- Good operational contract knowledge to facilitate and enable best practice and advice for wider FM team
- Able to work independently across multiple buildings and regions
- Ability to transfer legislative and best practice requirements into operational process and procedures
Jobs of the Week
- Administration 8
- Building Design, Planning, Development 13
- Catering 1
- Construction 73
- Contracts, Projects, Bids 6
- Energy Management 3
- Engineering, Maintenance 115
- Estates, Property 20
- Facilities Management (main) 101
- Front of House 1
- Hard Services 39
- Health & Safety 21
- HVAC 13
- Management 16
- M&E 36
- Operations 9
- Sales & Marketing 3
- Security 1
- Soft Services 24
- Sustainability 2
- Workplace 4