This job has now been filled, check out our latest jobs, on our job search.
Building Surveyor x7
Her Majesty’s Court and Tribunals Service is an agency of the MoJ and provides the supporting administration for the judiciary across England and Wales. It delivers services to the public directly in court and tribunal buildings, remotely via business centres and some limited services via the internet.
There are high expectations of all staff regardless of the job they do and good performance is expected from everybody. The organisation is continuously adopting new or better ways of working to ensure that it focuses on just that which is essential.
HMCTS has a once in a generation opportunity to transform the entire Courts and Tribunals Service through the HMCTS Reform Programme, enhancing the provision of a world-class justice system, in a manner that provides an improved user experience at reduced cost to the taxpayer. This will contribute to consolidating the UK’s position at the forefront of an increasingly competitive international legal market as well as ensuring access to justice for all.
The programme includes modernising the court estate, updating and replacing its technology, speeding up and streamlining working practices, refurbishing buildings to reduce maintenance costs and provide much improved services for service users, especially vulnerable witnesses and victims. Effective staff engagement at this time of such significant change will be critical to success; maintaining a positive and lasting connection between HMCTS management and its staff.
An effective courts and tribunals service is fundamental to our democracy, underpinning the rule of law. This is an opportunity to work in a role that will support and enable a major transformation programme, designed not just to give our courts and tribunals a sustainable and affordable future, but improve how we deliver justice.
The key responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- To lead the Property Directorate Technical team, with regard to the provision of a comprehensive professional surveying and technical service to diagnose, specify, design and facilitate a broad range of building repair works and adaptations in accordance with all statutory and local legislation as well as delivering all departmental key performance requirements.
- To be the lead property expert within their professional field with in-depth knowledge in building practices, and have overview of works from inception to completion, including the programming of works and supervision of contractors to deliver on budget, time and to the required quality.
- To develop and monitor directorate wide contractual, project and capital works practices and procedures, ensuring the required quality user focused service and promoting positive and innovative working relationships with building contractors, supply chain partners as well as other internal and external users and stakeholders.
- To provide expert advice on all statutory and legislative change, as well as sustainable technologies that affect, improve and promote the service. Lead on programmes of thematic work specifications e.g. sustainability programme to consider installation of triple glazing or voltage optimisers or intelligent lighting sensors and make evidence-based, well-informed decisions on tendering services.
- To lead on the arrangement, invitation and evaluation of tenders for work, ensuring the process provides financial and auditory compliance. Provide technical expertise and advice on the procurement of works.
- Responsible for the contract administration of the works, including valuing claims for additional works, the preparation and the certifying of interim and final payments, ensuring financial and audit compliance.
Key Technical Skills Required
- Degree in Building Surveying or relevant engineering discipline.
- Experience in engineering or building fabric maintenance including sufficient, knowledge, training and experience to support the duty holder role.
- Experience of working with historic buildings
- An experienced property and facilities management professional with in-depth knowledge of asset and risk management strategies.
- A deep understanding of the issues involved in managing a large operational and administrative estate, including customer management and supply chain management.
- Successful experience of leading, motivating and managing in-house and outsourced teams through a period of significant change.
- Experience of managing crisis situations in relation to asset management functions.
- Experience of working at a senior level and providing oral and written briefings.
Jobs of the Week
- Administration 9
- Building Design, Planning, Development 8
- Catering 1
- Construction 55
- Contracts, Projects, Bids 8
- Energy Management 3
- Engineering, Maintenance 108
- Estates, Property 44
- Facilities Management (main) 116
- Front of House 1
- Hard Services 69
- Health & Safety 3
- Human Resources 3
- HVAC 33
- Management 29
- M&E 70
- Operations 23
- Sales & Marketing 5
- Security 1
- Soft Services 52
- Sustainability 1
- ICT, Technical 3
- Workplace 3