Assistant Facilities Manager
Health & Safety
Facilities Management (main)
Assistant Facilities Manager, The Historic Dockyard, Chatham
The Historic Dockyard Chatham is a thriving community with 115 residential properties, over 100 commercial tenants, including the University of Kent with 600 students, and a visitor attraction receiving up to 180,000 visitors a year.
It is a unique heritage environment, being the most complete Dockyard of the age of sail in the world. The estate is owned and operated by Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust (The Trust), an independent charity, that has transformed the formally derelict post-industrial site into the 21st Century, 24/7, place that it is today.
More detail about the Trust and its operations can be found at
The Historic Dockyard Chatham is looking to recruit an Assistant Facilities Manager with heritage-based conservation skills who can assist to manage the Trust’s team and contractors to maintain and preserve the Historic Dockyard’s 80 acre estate consisting of a unique assembly of historic buildings and structures relating to the age of sail.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate their passion for working with historic structures as well as modern building management systems and green technology as well as visitor focused galleries and exhibits.
Their ability to plan and deliver successful repair, preservation and conservation programmes within budgets and their experience of motivating and managing small teams including both staff and contractors.
• To manage the direct labour team and assist to provide weekend cover to keep the visitor experience and galleries operational
• Manage the maintenance team for day to day works
• To ensure that all works are undertaken following Health and Safety best practice
• To review and maintain contractors RAMS, and to work closely with the site H&S manager to ensure all activities are carried out safely and professionally
• Manage and maintain the maintenance requirements of the site on a weekly/monthly/annual regime
• To manage all aspects of statutory and required inspections and compliance, eg
Legionella testing, lightening systems, fixed wire testing
• Manage the site services including cleaning, grounds maintenance and pest control to ensure that the service level agreements are maintained to the commercial, residential and visitor galleries
• Manage and operate gallery AV and lighting controls on a day-to-day operation basis
• Manage and operate building BMS systems and monitoring equipment as appropriate
• Building relationships with tenants and residents and manage expectations professionally.
• To interact with all departments sharing information as appropriate
• To develop and maintain active communication both within and across the teams
• Attend Residents Association meetings as required, including site liaison inspections and evening meetings
• Assisting as required in support of events on the site
• Ad hoc duties as and when required
At the Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust it is our ambition to create an inclusive culture which attracts all candidates and demonstrates our commitment to celebrate and promote diversity.
The Job Description and Application Form are available on the Trust’s website https://thedockyard.co.uk/our-charity/recruitment/ Applications should be made using the form provided but should be supported by a full CV and cover letter (maximum length, two sides A4) indicating why your personal experience makes you the right person for the job.
The closing date for applications is 30th September 2021, with interviews being held on the 7th October 2021
Please send your completed documents to Miss Kerry Childs, Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust, 1st Floor North, Fitted Rigging House, The Historic Dockyard Chatham Kent ME4 4TZ or to firstname.lastname@example.org
Jobs of the Week
- Administration 16
- Building Design, Planning, Development 3
- Catering 8
- Construction 17
- Contracts, Projects, Bids 6
- Energy Management 1
- Engineering, Maintenance 174
- Estates, Property 53
- Events 6
- Facilities Management (main) 227
- Front of House 6
- Hard Services 131
- Health & Safety 7
- Human Resources 1
- HVAC 58
- Management 10
- M&E 86
- Operations 19
- Sales & Marketing 5
- Security 1
- Soft Services 21
- Sustainability 2
- ICT, Technical 7
- Training 1
- Workplace 13